Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Tuesday Trivia - what's on my crochet hook today?

Tonight I've been working on crocheting a ladybug hat for Girl 2.  Once a month our school has a 'Hat Day'.  Students get to wear a hat all day in exchange for a donation of change which goes to Pennies for Patients, a wonderful program that supports kids in MN, ND and SD that have Leukemia and Lymphoma.

Each month I have fun making a new hat for my girls to wear to school on Hat Day.  Sometimes I let them choose what they'd like me to make for them, and other times I'll find a cute pattern that I surprise them with. This month Girl 2 requested a ladybug hat.  Girl 1 is still trying to decide what she wants.  :)

For this hat I'm using Lion Brand's Vanna's Choice yarn in Cranberry and Black, a 5.50mm hook, and my own pattern.

And a fun bit of ladybug trivia for you... did you know that ladybugs 'bleed' from their knees when threatened?  When startled, a ladybug seeps a toxic mix of alkaloids from its leg joints, thus deterring potential predators from an otherwise tasty meal.


No comments: